Shepherd´s pie is one of the most traditional and common dish on Irish families´table; not only it is famous, but also an easily prepared recipe in the UK , can quickly save you from the hunger. Apart from time-saving, this Shepherd´s pie recipe also contains many daily necessary nutritions and welcomed both by parents and children.
Beef or lamb together with a rich taste sause and smashed potatoes, you are going to like this traditional dish!
Check here to see what else on Handspire´s recipes!
Por February 18, 2014Publicado:
- Resultado: serves 4-6 (1 Número)
- Preparación: 20 min
- Otro: 20 min
- Terminada en: 40 min
Enjoy a traditional Irish taste with your family!
- ground beef or lamb
- 1 large onion finely diced
- 3-4 large carrots finely diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon blackpepper
- 1 cup peas
- 3-4 sprigs thymes fresh, chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- 1 glass red wine
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup stock
- 6 cups smashed potatoes
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 grated parmesan cheese optional
- Pre-heat oven to 200C/400°F.
- Saute carrots in the olive oil until starting to get tender, later add the onion and saute. Season black pepper and thyme.
- Cook until browned then drain fat; add butter and peas. Sprinkle with flour and stir through. Later, add tomato paste, wine and Worcestershire sauce
- Let this reduce slightly then add the chicken stock. Allow to reduce down until you have a thick meaty gravy. Season to your taste.
- Remove from heat. Grease an oven proof dish with butter and add the sauce. Spoon or pipe the mashed potatoes over top. Brush with egg and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese if using.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until the potato is nice and browned on top.