Be the fortune teller at this years New Years Eve party and make your own fortune cookies. You can insert your own personal messages and fortunes making it a lot more fun when it comes to seeing who recieved what. Its also a great project to complete with the help of others as there can be a lot of folding so get the whole family involved.
For an added treat, dip the finished cookies in chocolate and sprinkle them with sweets. They make the perfect New Years party favor when put into a DIY gift box!
Homemade fortune cookies
Por November 25, 2013Publicado:
Be the fortune teller at this years New Years Eve party and make your own fortune cookies. You can insert your own personal messages …
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 8 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon corn starch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoon granulated sugar
- For regular oven preheat to 300 degrees. (Those with a fan preheat to 275)
- Whisk together the egg whites, vanilla extarct, coconut extract and vegetable oil until frothy.
- In a separate bowl, sift the flour, cornstarch, salt and sugar. Then add the flour ingredients to the wet mixture and whisk together.
- You need to add 5-10 teaspoons of water to the batter. It will differ depending on the consistency of your batter. You should end up with a batter that is not runny but that drops easily from your whisk.
- Take about a tablespoon of batter and pour onto a cookie sheet. Spread the batter with the back of the spoon making a circle.
- Once you have a few batter circles on a baking sheet place in the oven for 12-15 mins or until the edges start to turn brown. (You can only work with a few batter circles at a time because when left to cool they will become too brittle to fold!)
- Take the batter circles and flip them over with a spatula.
- Put the pre-folded fortune into the middle of the batter circle, then fold the edges up and bend over the edge of a cup to create the fortune cookie shape.
- Put the cookies into a muffin baking tray with the points facing downwards so as they cool they keep their shape.
- If you want, you can recrisp the cookies on the day of serving just by placing the muffin tray into a pre-heated oven. Otherwise keep them in an airtight container.